International Friendship Day is a special day dedicated to celebrating the bonds of friendship and the importance of having great friends. Today, people worldwide come together to show appreciation for their friends and strengthen their connections even more.
Friendship is one of the most essential things in life. Good friends can bring us happiness, comfort, and support through the ups and downs of life. They can be there when we need them most, making our lives more prosperous and meaningful, thus preventing isolation and loneliness.
Maintaining a great friendship takes effort and commitment from both parties. Here are some tips on how to maintain a strong and healthy friendship:
1. Communication is critical: Regular communication is essential to maintaining friendships. Whether through phone calls, text messages, or social media, it’s essential to keep in touch with your friend and let them know you are thinking of them.
2. Make time for each other: Life can get busy, but making time for your friends is essential. Whether scheduling a weekly catch-up call or planning a weekend getaway, prioritizing time with your friend shows that you value your friendship and want to keep it strong.
3. Be a good listener: Listening is integral to friendship. When your friend is talking, give them your full attention and listen to what they say. Show empathy and support and be there to help them through any challenges they may be facing.
4. Be honest and open: Honesty and openness are vital components of any healthy relationship, including friendships. Be honest with your friend about your feelings and thoughts and encourage them to do the same with you. This can help to build trust and deepen your friendship.
5. Celebrate each other: Celebrate your friend’s successes and accomplishments and be there to support them during difficult times. Show them you are proud of them and appreciate all they do.
6. Respect: take into consideration each other’s boundaries, make time to acknowledge each other’s needs, experiences, likes, dislikes, and respect them, without judgment.
7. Reciprocity: essentially be there for them, so that they can be there for you. Teat them how you’d like to be treated.
On International Friendship Day, take the time to reach out to your friends and let them know how much you value their friendship. Whether it’s with a phone call, a text message, or a thoughtful gift, show them that you care. And remember, maintaining a great friendship takes effort and commitment, but the rewards are well worth it.
If you are interested in scheduling a session with Dr Kaili Chen or Teresa Chan, please contact us today.